Sunday, January 13, 2008

Day 14 Scott, before and after

This is a photo of my son just as he's going into a restaurant. I was very excited to get to spend some time with him, not having seen him for 1 1/2 years because he's in the Navy. (There's a cautionary tale in all this to you young moms; spend time with them now!) This does not capture his usual cheerful demeanor; he was just caught by surprise by me.
I shot this with my 18-135 mm lens at 80 mm, in Auto mode; f/5.6; exp 1/250; ISO 400.

This is the After photo. I used PSE5, adjusted the levels, raised the saturation slightly. . . and didn't like what it did to his face! Too bright! I liked the background, but not how it turned out on my son. First I tried using the "burn" tool to darken it a little, but it made him look surly and evil (which he's not!) So instead I added a layer mask, and pulled the unadjusted level in on his face and hand, so that it didn't have a bright light look to it. There's probably better ways to do this, but I didn't know how. . . .

I also used this in a scrapbook page for the Layout of a Day, which I posted on my other blog: My Pixelated Oasis. I used a template, and added some journaling and grunge brushes.

27 comments:

Toni said...

You did a great job with it! Hes adorably cute! TOni

Kristi said...

You did a really great job brightening this pic up and bring out the colors. I hope you continue to enjoy your time with your son!

Mandy said...

Wow..its amazing what a little brightening will do for a photo. Great job.

Tera Fraley said...

Great job!! Love how you brightened it up!!

Sharon said...

Well done. He is a handsome man.

Michelle said...

love that after! you totally pulled him out of the shadows and really brightened it up. great job!

amazing grace said...

very good pp'ing! you did a nice job....boosted the exposure and colors without overdoing it or blowing any areas...nicely done!

and i am glad you were able to spend time with your son!

leah

Stacey said...

Looks great!

C said...

the second picture looks GREAT :)

Anonymous said...

You did a great job here!
Cari

It's These Little Moments said...

second pic looks good.

Danielle said...

Looks good. I like that it doesn't look overly psed.

cherie said...

great looking son and nice job on the edit. I know what you mean I have a son who is a Marine so we have to enjoy whatever time we get with them!

--sme said...

Your adjustments look great! Congrats on getting to spend some time with your son, and thank him for his service! :)

Melissa said...

Good job- you definitely brightened it up nicely!

Tori said...

Nice! I like the punch of colors on the door and in the background!

jordan.krogman said...

Ooooh, looks really nice! :)

pakosta said...

awesome!
it really pops!
tara

Tomboymama said...

Wow, that really popped the background nicely. Nice!

Becky said...

I think you did a great job! Looks good.

Margaret said...

That second image just pops! Love it! Glad you were able to spend some time with you son.

Mom2Drew said...

Wonderful PS work!

Farrah Jobling said...

The color looks great! You might also try a tighter crop on that handsome guy!

Val said...

Great photo. What a difference a little PS tweak can make, huh?

Ljsmom33 said...

It is so fun to see all of these. A little brighting does go a long way!

Debbi said...

I am just amazed at how bright colors can get with some PPing - looks terrific!

Patti said...

great job with the PPing. I read somewher to never try and burn highlights - just makes the grey and ugly.