Saturday, January 12, 2008

Day 13: Before and After, Dog in Snow



This is a picture of a dog in the park on a beautiful day with the trees covered in hoar frost. I raced outside when I saw it, wanting to photograph it, but looked down my block and saw rows and rows of garbage cans. It was garbage day! So I grabbed a pair of gloves, cut the tips off two fingers so I could still manipulate my camera in the freezing weather, and sped to a nearby park. It was so cold (about 5 below windchill) that I rushed with everything I was doing, not getting close enough for a good shot, and not properly adjusting the exposure for snow. This was shot in auto mode, 62 mm with my 18-135 mm lens; ISO 320; exp 1/500; f/5.6. Oh, and the idea of cutting the tips off my gloves; an all-around rotten idea! I mostly sat on my hand, with the seat warmer turned on, while driving home, hoping that I hadn't stayed out too long . . .This is after some editing. I cropped the photo in PSE5, adjusted the levels, increased the saturation slightly. Then I duplicated the photo, used blending mode "screen" to lighten it over-all just a little further, and then sharpened the photo slightly. Now it looks much more like the day actually looked (because we don't have blue snow, no matter how odd Grand Forks is!)

22 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh that is a really cool picture of the frost on the tree :)

pakosta said...

gorgeous!
the 2nd shot is just beautifUL!
tara

jordan.krogman said...

Sounds like something I did last year for the POTD. One of our weekly themes was to take pictures of the town where we live, and it was sub-zero the entire week. I decided to go out, anyway, and ended up ALMOST getting frostbite on my fingers. Oh, well. . . it's all worth it if we end up with even ONE shot, right?! :)

Mandy said...

Wow...that is so awesome.

Bobbi said...

Great shot! I love the edit and the crop :)

Debbi said...

Angela - I wont' take offense at all. Especially right now - this isn't the best time of year in good old GF!!!! I'd love to get together and meet. I'll PeaMail you!

April Michelle said...

pic # 2 is great! nice job

periwinkle eye images said...

Angela, Oh, Oh, and OH! These are both fabulous shots, but the 2nd one with just the dog and the cold is superb! It makes my fingers cold just to look at it, but it is such a grand-scope shot; a real keeper, for sure! ML

Toni said...

Great pp joB! :) TOni

Anonymous said...

Wow, great job with the PP. That second picture really pops -- and I can't believe it is so clear still after cropping in that far.

Jennifer said...

WOW, what a difference. I so need to learn how to do that...awesome!!

Sara said...

This before and after is really enlightening. It's so much fun to "rescue" a photo with potential, isn't it? this was worth the edit, it looks beautiful.

Tomboymama said...

Great before and after. I love your final edit and would have never imagined it from the original photo. Excellent.

Margaret said...

Those are beautiful! Love the second one. I know how the bluish tint in the snow goes....I have that in my post today, too! Oops. Still working on that white balance thing.:)

Kristen said...

That is seriously cool! I love the edited photo, you did a great job!

pat said...

Nice cropping and processing on this. The hoar frost/snow on the tree to the left of the dog is gorgeous!

C said...

beautiful! love the second picture

Tori said...

what a beautiful scene!

Becky said...

Nice job on the conversion! As for the gloves, I've had some of the fingerless ones with the little flip thing that turns them into mittens, do you know what I mean? They can be hard to find, though.

For Over 29 Years... said...

that's really a great close up. I love the color of the dog brightens up the picture!

Val said...

Wow! Great shop job!!

Unknown said...

Oh wow, how beautiful is your photo!!